The CABE Certificate in Building Control has been the foundation of many professional careers and is essential learning for those working in Building Control and those designing to meet the Building Regulations. Where possible the course includes real-life examples, theoretical calculations and considerations for design and plan assessment as well as features to consider during site inspection. The course takes into account any recent changes and provides 3 days of intensive learning to minimise time away from the work environment.
Week One Consists of:
Day 1 – Legislation and Building Control
This day will explore the Building Regulations, information required during the design and construction process, and what happens when works don’t proceed to plan. You will gain an understanding of enforcement options and processes and possible consequences of non-compliance. Additionally you will gain an understanding of the legislation and the obligations placed on organisations and individuals and will consider associated issues such as dangerous structures, demolitions and ancillary legislation.
Day 2 – Parts A, C, D, H & P
This day will look at the minimum standards set by parts A, C, D, H & P of the Building Regulations in relation to structural safety, resistance to contaminants and moisture and toxic substances, sanitary accommodation, drainage and rainwater and grey water usage, as well as considering electrical safety.
You will examine in detail the guidance given in the Approved Documents and possible alternatives given in British Standards and other guides.
Day 3 – Part B – Means of Escape
This day will look at the minimum standards set by Part B1 of the Building Regulations in relation to means of escape. Using worked examples you will also examine in detail the guidance given in the Approved Documents using examples to illustrate possible solutions and possible alternatives given in BS 9999 and other guides.
This seminar can be taken as a stand-alone course or forms part of the Certificate in Building Control. To gain the certification you must complete both Weeks One and Two and the end of course assessment.
Please note: Days 1, 2 or 3 can be booked separately via the event calendar on our website.
To add value to the course, there will be a checking of learning exercise at the end of each day.
There will also be an end of course assessment on the final day where candidates will be tested on what they have learnt in Weeks One and Two. This will test whether the learner has successfully met the learning outcomes and is able to apply the skills that have been learnt.
Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate.
Who's it for?
- New entrants to Building Control
- Building Control Professionals; and
- Improved understanding of legislation
- The ability to be able to interpret regulatory requirements and guidance
- An awareness of alternative solutions to compliance
- An appreciation of the practical solutions to common problems
Important Note: Slides in pdf format will be sent out to delegates by email in advance. In order to follow the presentation on the day, we ask that you bring a laptop/tablet that can read pdfs.
Safety Precautions - COVID 19
We are putting in place several measures to keep everyone safe at HQ:
- Temperature checks will be carried out on arrival.
- Course numbers will be limited to 15 to ensure delegates are spaced out in the training room to allow for social distancing
- HQ staff will use a separate staircase and areas of the building from external visitors
- A strict hygiene routine including anti bac gel to be used on entering the building, anti bac gel and tissues available in the training room.
- Food safety will be paramount, including:
- no tea and coffee stations (hot drinks can be brought in provided that all rubbish is disposed of correctly or taken away)
- Bottled water provided
- Individually sealed biscuits provided
- Individual lunch box provided consisting of sandwich (choice of filling to be made at time of booking), finger savoury, fruit and cake
CPD: 18 Hours
£570 inc VAT for CABE members
£740 inc VAT for non-members
How to Book
If you would like to book a place on this course, please click on the register button at the top of the page or use the contact details above.
Online booking will be open up to 2 days before the course. Please call us to book a place after this date.