This two-day workshop has been designed to improve the plan checking skills of new entrants to Building Control as well as those involved in designing buildings in accordance with the Building Regulations and Approved Documents.
The workshop is designed to be flexible; and is adapted to take into consideration the varying skills of participants based on their experiences and desired outcomes.
The workshop will run at a speed comfortable to those attending, looking at a variety of plans from small domestic new builds though to mixed use and non-domestic plans. The tutor will set tasks individually and in pairs to ensure that everyone gets the opportunity to develop their skills and get the best out of the course.
Participants require a basic knowledge of the Building Regulations and Approved Documents.
The workshop will start with an introduction, where participants will discuss their level knowledge and their desired outcomes. Following a basic overview/recap of the legislation used by Building Control, the tutor will set tasks on basic schemes as well as looking at how to consider Approved Document B in respect of residential schemes. As the day progress the tasks will start to consider larger schemes.
The pace of this workshop is dictated by the participants to make sure that everyone gets the most out of the two days. Each task will be set as either groups, or individually, depending on how comfortable the individual participant feels.
Participants will continue to work on schemes, further building on their knowledge from Day One. As participants progress, the schemes get more involved to further enhance their knowledge and confidence.
By the end of Day Two participants will have developed some basic skills necessary to apply their knowledge to real-life situations.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- Plans used are real life plans adapted for training purposes and vary from simple exercises through to complex schemes.
- There are over 35 plans and schemes to choose from.
- It is a demanding course, but the participants will hopefully get out of the course what they put into it – they are not spoon-fed but assisted towards their goal of better plan checking.
- It is necessary to bring along Building Regulations, Approved Documents (either accessed by computer or hard copy), scale rules, marker pens etc. Without these basic items you will not be able to take full advantage of the course.
Speaker: Ken Ewing
Ken is a Building Engineer with over 45 years’ professional experience in the building industry, mostly spent within Building Control and associated fields, and much of which has been spent working within Local Government, where he was a Chief Officer, before starting up his own Building and Access Consultancy.
He has worked with the CABE in a voluntary capacity, setting and marking examinations and interviewing applicants for membership for in excess of 35 years, and continues to offer advice to applicants and serve on interview panels.
Ken has been working as a consultant on behalf of CABE for over ten years, providing training covering building construction, Building Control Legislation and ancillary matters, together with the Building Regulations and Approved Documents.
Safety Precautions - COVID 19
We are putting in place several measures to keep everyone safe at HQ:
- Temperature checks will be carried out on arrival.
- Course numbers will be limited to ensure delegates are spaced out in the training room to allow for social distancing
- HQ staff will use a separate staircase and areas of the building from external visitors
- A strict hygiene routine including anti bac gel to be used on entering the building, anti bac gel and tissues available in the training room.
- Food safety will be paramount, including:
- no tea and coffee stations (hot drinks can be brought in provided that all rubbish is disposed of correctly or taken away)
- Bottled water provided
- Individually sealed biscuits provided
- Individual lunch box provided consisting of sandwich (choice of filling to be made at time of booking), finger savoury, fruit and cake
CPD: 12 Hours
£540 inc VAT for CABE members
£700 inc VAT for non-members
How to Book
If you would like to book a place on this course, please click on the register button at the top of the page or use the contact details above.
Online booking will be open up to 2 days before the course. Please call us to book a place after this date.